Friday, September 17, 2010

bear poop and other treasures

major busyness for wooly these days! first off- i haven't been getting much sleep lately. the dogs on our hill have been going off(barking excessively) all night long-mine included! i recently found out why. on my driveway is a big pile of:

bear poop!!! with lots of peach pits inside. at least we know the bears are getting some proper nutrition before their midwinter nap. just stay away from my chickens!! did i blog about the bear in the chicken coop? need to check on that. it was very exhilarating and scary.


every september liam gets very excited as it is time for the annual d'ville antique bottle and insulator show. it's his passion. i must admit i get a bit thrilled myself. as i always find all sorts of treasures. affordable treasures!!!! check out my score! below are some great old prints from Ca. Fish and Game, a Maxfield Parish print, and a whole collection of bird and animal prints by Jacob Bates Abbot. total score! can you see the postcard sized thing with an old english manor on it? it a sewing needle kit from england. it originally had 50 needles-i think half are still there. too bad the darning needles are all gone.


i just love old pyrex and enamel. i finally got a set of 3!!! been wanting these forever-but way too expensive at antique stores and hard to find in thrift stores.


and the cool thing is my buddy Birdsong just gave a one of the blue ones in mint condition with a matching silk and merino undershirt she found at a thrift store the other day . thanks bsong-that made my day:)-i am rich with treasures!!!


i also got these nifty enamel bowls-they look great for display in our craft fair booth.

the garden has been giving us beautiful heirloom tomatoes this year despite the weird weather. livin on homegrown tomatoes rocks!!!

i want to end this post with a thank you. many of you know we recently had a large forest fire close to home. too close to home. our road was closed and many friends were evacuated from their homes. i want to thank everyone- firefighters and all for an excellent job kicking ass on this fire and getting it contained so quickly. you all amaze me! some of our own local fire firefighters were away in other states fighting fires when their families were being evacuating. over 1ooo acres burned. i am so very grateful!!! thank you!!!

photo from yubanet. here's a picture of blue watching the fire planes fly over our house.

13 comments:

Sharon said...

My mother had those Pyrex containers - maybe those were hers! They sure do bring back memories. Lucky find on those prints.

Yeah, those firefighters are awesome. It's such a miserable job - fighting hot fire in hot weather. I don't know why they chose to do that - just glad that they do!

soxchik said...

Are those containers called refrigerator dishes? I have a clear one embossed with a cow-probably for butter. They're very cool. Good score! Bear poop-not so cool.
I am so glad you are done with the fires. They would freak me out to a whole new level.

soxchik said...

P.S. I just saw your glass dishes on ebay- very collectible! Check out the listings in 'jadite', and 'uranium' glass- very woolydaisy colors!

Carolyn Crane said...

I love those bird prints! That IS exciting. And what a wilderness girl you are to recognize bear poop!

Carolyn Crane said...

I was just going to message this to you on twitter but maybe you're off it! Anyway, I was so flattered that your hubby enjoyed the book so much (...I hope you do, too!) So funny. Hope you guys have a great week. Please sign me...

The real Carolyn Crane

Unknown said...

I like old things too - and growing tomatoes - so, could you please tell me what variety are the two very dark ones in the back of your photo? thanks in advance. Hannah in France.

Luci said...

My MIL (yes, that one) has three large and four small of the pyrex containers, and we use them everyday. The tomatoes look awesome!

magnusmog said...

Bears? Yikes!

woolydaisy said...

To Hannah in France- the dark tomatoes in the back are called "Black from Tula" i think. let me know if you can't find it.

mary jane said...

I am so pleased to know someone else who takes pictures of bear poop. I almost tweeted bear poop, but restrained myself.

What a lucky score you got! I love everything!

Birdsong said...

Love this great assortment of pictures... I will be happy when the bears go to sleep and the dogs stop keeping me awake!

woolydaisy said...

birdsong- me too! i can't get any sleep these days. all kinds of skat around here. maybe i need to a skat post.

Beryl Moody said...

Igor and I found a big pile on our walk a couple of days ago. It looked like cement because the bear had been eating blackberries and turned the poop gray. Tis bear season!